Our Team Achievements
Dr. J. Maheshwari, M.B.B.S. and MS Ortho, studied at the prestigious All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi. He received part of his training in UK, Germany and Australia. He has worked on the faculty of AIIMS for 15 years, where he specialized in knee and shoulder surgery. He has been in the fore-front of incorporating recent advances in knee and shoulder surgery in the day-to-day practice. The latest in this is, first time in India, introduction of ultrasound in diagnosis and treatment of knee & shoulder diseases by the surgeon himself. He has the unique distinction of being a surgeon who is apt at the full spectrum of knee and shoulder surgery – from key-hole (Arthroscopic) surgery to knee and shoulder replacement. Doctors, medical students and physiotherapists know him better as the author of the most popular text-book of orthopaedics – Essential Orthopaedics, a best-seller for 25 years plus.
Uniqueness of Dr. J. Maheshwari
- Over 35 years of experience at AIIMS and other Delhi hospitals.
- Has performed over 3000 total knee replacements and partial knee replacement.
- Has a team of associate doctors, technical staff and physiotherapists.
- Frequently invited as guest speaker to national and international conferences.
- Runs training courses/fellowships for young orthopaedic surgeons
- Has complete in-house inventory of instruments and implants.
- Ethical, approachable, compassionate and result-oriented.
- Forthright - discusses everything (results, time to be taken, money involved) about surgery in advance.
- Transparent: One of the few who give recorded CD of arthroscopic surgery to the patient.
Landmark achievements of Dr. J. Maheshwari
- 1994: Published text-book of orthopaedics ‘Essential Orthopaedics’, the most popular text book of orthopaedics.
- 1999: Started first-of-its-kind ‘Combined Joint Disease Clinic’ with rheumatologist at New ISIC Delhi.
- 1999: Did the first arthroscopic shoulder surgery in north India.
- 2000: Did the first total shoulder replacement in north India.
- 2002: Started dedicated ‘Knee & Shoulder Clinic’, first-of-its-kind in north India.
- 2006: Started first mobile-bearing unicompartment knee replacement in north India.
- 2008: Organised the first Delhi Knee Course.
- 2008: Organised first live workshop on unicompartment knee replacement.
- 2009: Organised the first Delhi Shoulder Course.
- 2010: Started computer-assisted knee replacement at Sitaram Bhartia Hospital.
- 2012: Did the first reverse shoulder replacement in north India.
- 2014: Elected, President of Delhi Orthopaedic Association.
- 2015: Organised biennial National Conference of Shoulder Society of India, at New Delhi.
- 2016: Elected, President of Shoulder Society of India.
- 2016: Appointed Head of Max Institute of Musculo-skeletal Sciences, Max Superspeciality Hospital, Saket, New Delhi, India.
- 2018: Introduced use of first ultrasound for joints by an orthopaedic surgeon himself.
- 2019: Started ODOT – One-day-one-topic, a new way of doing continuing medical education.
Dr. Vikram A Mhaskar, MBBS, ECFMG certified, MS (Orth), MCh(Orth) (UK) Fellowship in Knee Surgery Sydney (Australia), Lyon (France) did his initial medical and orthopaedic training from St John’s Medical College Hospital, Bangalore. He then went on to do his MCh Orthopaedics from Dundee, United Kingdom. He further sub-specialised in knee surgery by undertaking ISAKOS and Australian Orthopaedic Association accredited fellowship in Knee surgery from Sydney, Australia. He trained in all aspects of knee surgery – both, arthroscopic, open and replacement surgery including robotic and computer navigated knee replacements. He then went on to further specialize in knee and patella-femoral surgery from the Mecca of knee surgery - Centre Albert Trillat, Lyon, France. He has numerous research articles and publications to his credit.
Landmark achievements of Dr. Vikram A Mhaskar
- Co-author of Maheshwari & Mhaskar’s Essential Orthopaedics
- Did India’s first Day care knee replacement surgery recognised by ‘India Book Of Records’
- Awarded the prestigious ‘David Rowley Award’ by the University Of Dundee during his MCh Orth
- Awarded the prestigious ‘Fr Percival Fernandez Award’ for ‘Best outgoing post graduate’ by St John’s Medical College Hospital, Bangalore
- Invited to present his research on the biomechanics of the shoulder in fast bowlers to improve performance and prevent injuries at the ICC conference during the World Cup of Cricket 2014 (Sydney, Australia)
- Trained in robotic and computer navigated total knee replacements as well as arthroscopic surgery of the knee
- Authored textbook chapters on knee replacement surgery published by Springer publications USA